[Olpc-Haiti] [RE] Where to find Haitian Kréyol professional translators

Michel DeGraff degraff at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 4 00:45:12 EST 2010

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your clarification re the "publishing" process of the
translations and the "quality control mechanisms" therein.

>  Differing levels of privileges, review with some
> automated error checking to identify possible problems, contributions
> to the Pootle server are not "published" to the software repo until a
> language
> administrator "commits" the particular PO file.

This, then, entails that the eventual quality of the final "committed"
translations will be commensurate with the competence of the "language
administrator."

When I was looking at the committed Kreyòl translations on some XOs a
couple of years ago, I was shocked by the extremely low quality of the
translation, some of which was downright confusing for any Kreyòl
speaker, including fluent adult speakers like myself.  I reported these
glitches to the OLPC-Haiti team at the time.

Then I found out that the language administrator at that time was not
even fluent in Kreyòl.

Hopefully the current language administrators are certifiably competent
professional translators who are duly remunerated for their much needed
expertise and their hard work, on a par with other employees and
consultants working for OLPC.

It was good to hear from Guy-Serge Pompilus that translations done in
Haiti are now ready for a final check---perhaps by the sort of language
administrators I just mentioned.

Well done, Guy Serge!  (Kenbe rèd. Fòk nou pa kite kochma sa a kraze
moral nou nèt. Fòk nou kontinye viv, fòk nou kontinye goumen pou
zansèt ki te ban nou peyi a, pou moun ki mouri yo, pou ti moun k ap
grandi yo, pou ti moun ki pral fèt yo.  Kouraj!)

                                 -michel.
MIT Linguistics & Philosophy  77 Massachusetts Ave Cambridge MA 02139
degraff at MIT.EDU http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/degraff

----- Message from cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com ---------