[OLPC-Chicago] Hello to the Chicago OLPC group - and a question

Kevin Crews kcrews at imsa.edu
Fri May 16 17:45:46 EDT 2008

Michael;
I am so glad that you have consulted the list here.  I know that our chapter
at the Illinois Math and Science Academy [[IMSA]] is looking to travel this
Winter, between our first and second semester specifically to do something
like this.  I am not sure of the details at all right now, but I can say
that it would be a possibility to come and help train your teachers and
students how to use some of the XOs.

As for actually getting XOs, there are two ways to look at it: find a
donation of a few XOs, or find a donation of money to purchase many XOs.
 The Give Many program allows for the donation of at least 100 XOs to
schools and organizations just like yours.  The cost is $300 a piece.

Please let us know what we can do to help and how you wold like to proceed
with this collaboration, because we are located in Aurora and part of our
mission is to 'advance the human condition,' and I know here at IMSA we have
a number of resources for you beyond our OLPC chapter.  The pioneering minds
that started our school (Dr. Stephanie Pace Marshall and Dr. Leon Lederman)
continue to give back to the field of education world wide and are very
connected to your mission.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Kevin

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Michael Hurd <m.d.hurd at gmail.com> wrote:

> To: Chicago OLPC group
>
> From: Michael Hurd
>
> Hello,
> I'm on the Board of an Illinois nonprofit and  501c3 whose mission is to
> build schools in Southern Sudan. I'm the Technology Coordinator. The
> organization's name is *The Lost Boys Rebuilding Southern Sudan*.
> www.rebuildingsouthernsudan.org.  We are based in the western Chicago
> suburbs.  Our first school in Southern Sudan will be finished later this
> year and I'd love to get some XO's into it.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how we can make it happen? Any information would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Michael Hurd
> Secretary and Technology Coordinator