[OLPC-Chicago] Hello to the Chicago OLPC group - and a question

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 16 19:54:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Michael Hurd <m.d.hurd at gmail.com> wrote:
> To: Chicago OLPC group
>
> From: Michael Hurd
>
> Hello,
> I'm on the Board of an Illinois nonprofit and  501c3 whose mission is to
> build schools in Southern Sudan. I'm the Technology Coordinator. The
> organization's name is The Lost Boys Rebuilding Southern Sudan.
> www.rebuildingsouthernsudan.org.  We are based in the western Chicago
> suburbs.  Our first school in Southern Sudan will be finished later this
> year and I'd love to get some XO's into it.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how we can make it happen? Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.

Earth Treasury would be delighted to help. We work on linking schools
around the world, and we try to fill some of the gaps that OLPC has
left in the mission.

It is quite difficult to deal with the GiveMany program, which quotes
terms of cash in advance, with a delivery date to be provided 60 days
later, for sometime in the next ten months or so. We can  put you in
touch with other organizations that have created programs, so that you
can ask them how they went about it.

You should also contact some of the usual sources and media
personalities, such as Oprah, who finances a school in Africa. Barack
Obama is pledging to double US foreign aid, and there is strong
interest in some quarters in creating a Global Marshall Plan. A lot of
us need to get together to make some of these things happen.

There are opportunities now for non-profits to tackle whole global
issues, rather than targeting single locations, with a combination of
Internet outreach and microfinance instead of constant begging for
funds.

> Best Wishes,
> Michael Hurd
> Secretary and Technology Coordinator