[OLPC-Chicago] XO help

Jason Rock jrock08 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 13:00:48 EDT 2008

Hey Jeffery,

I didn't realize until last night that yum was installed on the XO's so now
I can give you a line by line walk through.

First you have to get root,
this is accomplished two different ways depending on the build your using.
Either
sudo su    or     su

Then you are going to install the packages you want using yum.
Since I don't know the package names for yum, you should do

yum search [search term (something like java or flash)]

this will print out a couple lines of packages.  pick one to install and
type

yum install [package name]

I'm afraid I don't know how to register application so that you don't have
to launch them from the terminal.

For a gui based music player id recommend rhythmbox

Hope this helps

Jason