[OLPC-Chicago] OLPC-Chicago Digest, Vol 8, Issue 12

George Dorner george at dorners.net
Mon Mar 17 15:38:11 EDT 2008

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. XO help (Jeffrey A. Schwartz)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:36:13 -0500
> From: "Jeffrey A. Schwartz" <jasermd at comcast.net>
> Subject: [OLPC-Chicago] XO help
> To: <olpc-chicago at lists.laptop.org>
>
> Looking for some help! I carry my XO around the country with me and
> it is
> always the topic of interesting conversations and pledges by others to
> contribute to the OLPC cause to make them available to deserving kids
> everywhere.
>

> Here is my problem - I must be incredibly dense because no matter
> how much I
> have tried I have not been successful in understanding how to
> program some
> basic stuff that would make the XO incredibly useful for me. For
> example,
> the following are things that I would like the XO to be able to do
> and from
> what I read it is possible if you know how to add the programs
> (which I do
> not).

I'm sympathetic to the problems (though they have little to do with
the olpc project).
I make these comments just to further the discussion which I hope
ensues with easy
answers at no cost.

> -media player to play mpeg4 files

Have you read the page at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/RestrictedFormats

With a little help, one of the solutions given should satisfy you.
Sitting next to a techie for a few moments should do the trick.
I loaded Flash and decided I don't need it. I'm not a YouTube fan,
nor do I see any reason to use it on the XO.  I  can do that from home.

> -enhanced web browser of some sort

I was able to load Opera and use it. Tiny, tiny type, but it has all
the features of a full browser.

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/third_party/
install_opera_on_xo_laptop.html

> -ability to use a program called GOTOMYPC so that I can connect
> into my
> desktop when traveling

What kind of computer?  What purposes? I have moved files from the XO
to my Comcast storage, where they are available to any computer with
access to my account. This doesn't require a program, just knowledge
on how to move files.

What more helpful advice do others have?
w9zsj
george at dorners.net

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE
nail biting refreshes the feet