[OLPC-Chicago] the chicago summer

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 14:15:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>  > I'm out of the loop on work that is happening to make the chicago
>  >  summer office happen.
>  >
>  >  Have we found participants already? How many people do we want to
>  >  contact? Do we have any flyers? What do I tell people?
>  >
>  >  I reached out  to the youth volunteer coordinator at IRIM to gauge
>  >  interest in participating with an OLPC group. He said that it sounds
>  >  interesting but not at this time. This summer they are focusing on an
>  >  incoming group of people who are mostly pre-literate and he needs to
>  >  direct resources towards teaching basic language and health skills.
>
>  Just our target group! Well, we don't have the health content in place
>  and we don't have the text-to-speech engine in all of the activities,
>  so he's right.

I feel that it is a good target group where we could help, but I
didn't want to press the issue to take up his time. I am worried I
didn't explain the olpc group very well, which is why I'd like some
text to help get me started.

And perhaps I could make flyers, or ask someone who has good design
skills to make a flyer, which I could help distribute to a few places.

I do not have a lot of practice doing this type of interpersonal work.
If there are people who are better at this and who have time, I would
give them priority for doing these things and I'll focus on something
I am better at. I am curious to know what people are doing, and the
list activity has been a little slow about the summer plans.

What are people up to these days and how can I help?

> But it may be worthwhile to ask him for a list of
>  content and the lesson plans they use, and see about XO-izing it all
>  for next year.

This is a good idea. I'll email him and ask for the materials they
share. I don't like want to barge in and take up too much of his time
since they probably have limited resources for doing what they need
anyway, but asking for the lesson plans won't take up too much of his
time, I hope.

If you are interested, he mentioned that there is an incoming group,
The 1972 Burundi which I will need to read about.

--
sheila