[OLPC-Chicago] the chicago summer

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Wed Apr 23 17:28:53 EDT 2008

> I'm out of the loop on work that is happening to make the chicago
> summer office happen.

Remember, the Chicago summer office != OLPC Chicago, which is an
informal regional umbrella - the ILXO office is just going to be one of
the many groups operating in the region over the coming months. :)

> Have we found participants already?

We've got 4 full-time engineers and 2 interns right now - I'd really
like to have more interns, as well as at least one summer staffer who's
  focused on education and content generation (education project, not a
laptop project, right?) and will be posting openings pretty soon.

> How many people do we want to
> contact? Do we have any flyers? What do I tell people?

"We need office space and a van" are probably the most crucial. Better
descripts will be up when our website goes live, but...

400-1400 sq. ft (400 is a minimalist workspace for all staffers this
summer, larger spaces can host community gatherings and the like) from
June-August (we'll reevaluate at the end of August what we're going to
do). Public-transport and handicap* accessible. Getting this space or
rent money donated would be amazing; we'll be running classes to help
cover expenses as well.

14 passenger van that we can take the back seats out of for our mobile
office. Gas to run it.

*(I hate this word - but we may need a flashing fire alarm in the space
because of my hearing, and there should definitely be a ramp, and so on.)

-Mel