[OLPC.ch] linux distri for kids

Gabriele Bellini gbellini at betech.ch
Thu Jul 5 03:07:07 EDT 2012

Hi Urs,

Thanks for your feedback.

In the last few months I evaluated many distributions intended for kids. Qimo, Doudoulinux, Edubuntu, Kiddix, Kidoz, Sugar, and a couple of others.
But each has pros and cons, and each had a quite good success.
The idea is to boost this success with a distribution for kids to raise funds for OLPC projects.

As you said the idea would be to create from an existing distri, because from scratch it would be "self-killing".

Also, I started to work on this some months ago. I've put together a (rough) document of specifications. I "understand" what kids (and parents) are searching for. And I can help (...well, a little bit...) on financing this project.
But honestly I'm far to be a Linux expert, have no time to become one, and so am unable to create a distri.

That's why I was wondering if there are some people in this community interested by the project. Ideally I think it would need a Linux expert, a graphic designer, and a web designer.

Ciao,
Gabriele