[OLPC.ch] TR: FYI, our last news

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 6 04:42:00 EST 2009

Hi Cécile and Michael

Am Dienstag 06 Januar 2009 07.40:08 schrieb cecile.r at bluewin.ch:
> Dear all,
>

> In December, a friend of us, David Sadigh, offered space and explanations
> about OLPC on his professional blog (plus his company offered 5 XO). At
> least 300 hundred people visited this page. You can have a look at
> http://davsad.blogspot.com/.
>

> Another friend of us, Christophe Passer, chief editor of "L'Illustré",
> wrote few lines about OLPC in his "Ma petite entreprise". You can have a
> look at http://www.illustre.ch/index.cfm?id=3111 on the day "Friday".
Thanks these are two nice ideas. It is important that OLPC does not vanish
from the public scene.

> Another friend, Raphael Cohen, who is teaching entrepreneurship at the
> Ecole Polytechnique in Lausanne and is also a consultant to many companies
> sent to more than 1'000 people in Switzerland an e-mail with explanations
> and the link of OLPC.
>

> Now, two questions :
>

> As we are curious to know if these actions have had any success or proof of
> interest, how can we know the number of XO donations these last months made
> by Swiss people, in order to know if donations increased in december and
> january?
The G1G1 for Europe ended on December 31, 2008, with not more than 48hours of
announcement. Originally it was planned to last till January 31, 2009. The
main motivation behind this decision seems to be the fact, that OLPC if a non
profit organization and selling laptop could be considered as "for profit" by
US agencies.

There are now official figures available. But it was a lot less successfull
than the 2007 G1G1 in North America where between 100'000 and 150'000 XOs were
delivered. I think the number for Europa will be somewhere between 500 and
1000.

> W'll meet again David Sadigh in January along with a friend journalist
> working for "L'hebdo" and we plan to speak once again about the OLPC
> project. If anything important or new could be of any interest for them,
> please let us know as soon as possible.
Please let him point also to http://olpc.ch. We also could use some donations
to our "compte postale 60-487139-0 "
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Switzerland#Make_a_donation_to_olpc.ch
It would be nice to have some money do cover expenses (printing, sending XOs,
travelling, etc).

If he wants some links to good videos, here two good ones (in Spanish)
Peru "Aprendo felix" Salgo con mi computadora. Publicity with a children song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQiA5F6AJcQ

About Urugays Plan Ceibal
http://ia310806.us.archive.org/0/items/VideoDocumentalCeibal/documental_ceibal.ogv

And if you want to see some palettes of XO and what logistics are involved
handling thousands of XOs have a look at
http://www.archive.org/details/Portalceibal-Logstica_HiRes160-2
(also spanish)

--
Niklaus Giger