[OLPC Bolivia] [squeakland] [IAEP] Plan Ceibal y/and General Electric

Alan Kay alan.nemo en yahoo.com
Dom Feb 6 11:20:55 EST 2011

Hi Ron,

I've already played this game ad nauseum with many groups on the web. So I urge
everyone to rise above the temptation to name your favorite idea that seems
"new".

But do you really think there were no peer to peer and cloud computing systems
already deployed before 1980? (Hint: I used both quite a lot back then, and for
a short time actually was in charge of an ARPA task group to define an AI "cloud
resource" for the already running ARPAnet -- the one that got built was a
multiple processor system (C.mmp) designed by Gordon Bell)

For much larger issues and inventions than DHT, let me refer you to the 1978 PhD
thesis of David Reed (popularly known as "the '/' in TCP/IP") at MIT.1978. If
you haven't heard of David or read this thesis, then this helps make my main
point.

Since it would be really improbable for me to be aware of all developments after
1980 (and even some before), I don't claim there have been none.

I simply asked for 3 (or even one) since 1980 comparable to personal computing,
GUIs, the Internet, Engelbart's notion of "online system", etc. Previous essays
into this yielded many suggestions, but I was able to identify prior art for all
such.

For example, Tim Berners-Lee was suitably embarrassed when he found out about
Engelbart - first for the web not doing as well in the design, goals and
execution, and secondly, because as a physicist he would have been drummed out
of Physics if he had not tried to "stand on the shoulders of giants" (as Newton
said), and he had assumed falsely (and I think partly because our field is so
careless about its historical great steps up) that computing had no Netwons, and
the Internet had somehow just appeared without thought out purposes, and he
failed to look for them.

Best wishes,

Alan