[OLPC Networking] How to mesh network XO to Windows XP

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sun Mar 9 16:00:46 EDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Michael Vorburger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to get IP going between the XO and a Windows XP box
> with mesh networking? Am I stupid, or this known to not work? Here is
> how I try:

short answer: you can allow sharing your internet connection on your
win XP box and
therefore turn it into an AP + DHCP server.

> On the XO, click on Network 1 or 6 or 11 in the Neighborhood (tried
> all, none work) and watch the thingie on the Home go from "Starting a
> Simple Mesh" and then to "Connected to a Simple Mesh". An ifconfig
> msh0 shows the XOs' inet addr: 169.254.6.141 with Mask: 255.255.0.0.
that is the autoconfig addr when it does not get an addr from the
dhcp server

> All nice and well.
>
> Now on a Windows XP PC laptop (ThinkPad X41 with I don't know what
> HW/driver, does that interest anybody?) I see an "olpc-mesh"
> Computer-to-Compter or Peer-to-Peer or whatever Windows calls it
nope, wil not work. windows xp does not support the 802.11s mesh in
the XOs.
But it can act as an AP (see above).