[OLPC Networking] How to mesh network XO to Windows XP

Michael Vorburger mike at vorburger.ch
Sun Mar 9 14:34:52 EDT 2008

Hello,

Is it possible to get IP going between the XO and a Windows XP box
with mesh networking? Am I stupid, or this known to not work? Here is
how I try:

On the XO, click on Network 1 or 6 or 11 in the Neighborhood (tried
all, none work) and watch the thingie on the Home go from "Starting a
Simple Mesh" and then to "Connected to a Simple Mesh". An ifconfig
msh0 shows the XOs' inet addr: 169.254.6.141 with Mask: 255.255.0.0.
All nice and well.

Now on a Windows XP PC laptop (ThinkPad X41 with I don't know what
HW/driver, does that interest anybody?) I see an "olpc-mesh"
Computer-to-Compter or Peer-to-Peer or whatever Windows calls it
network. So far so good. I can connect to it, after about 30s or so
"Acquire Network Address" goes to a "Connected". An ipconfig shows the
PC's Autoconfiguration IP Address 169.254.61.94, Subnet Mask
255.255.0.0. Thank you very much.

Self ping 169.254.6.141 on the XO works, self ping 169.254.61.94 on PC
works, but the Windows won't get a ping 169.254.6.141 to the XO! Nor
the other way around, ping the PC from the XO (see below). Tried this
several times; no luck. Argh! ;-) Any ideas?

BTW: The direction ping the PC from the XO does NOT work even if I
have both of them on a home network WiFi access point - I'm assuming
there is some outgoing ICMP filtering on the XO? No problem. I CAN
however very well connect from the PC to the XO when both are on my
home network WiFi access point, and SSH into it or get VNC
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Remote_display) going.

I'd like to be able to do e.g. the VNC thing to hook them via Mesh up
for e.g. projecting the XO at demos!

Regards,
Michael