[OLPC Networking] Testing the Wireless driver changes

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 14:15:03 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 17:06 -0200, Ricardo Carrano wrote:
> Indeed we had this airplane mode discussion two weeks ago:
> Why don't we?
> -----------

This is the correct sledgehammer approach as mbletsas has consistently
pointed out.

For a more user-friendly solution, (short of a hardware rfkill switch)
put a toggle somewhere in the control panel for "Don't turn the radio on
automatically" that is _UN_checked by default, and a wireless
enabled/disabled button there too.  Then (see my other mail in this
thread) ensure that the driver starts with the radio off, and that the
first time the mesh or eth device is brought up that it turns the radio
on.  Then ensure that NetworkManager is clued into the preference value
above, and that NM sets it's initial wireless-enabled state coherently
with the preference value above as well.

Were these things done, by default the behavior would be the same as it
is now, but those people who wish insane amounts of control over the TX
power state can have their fluffy white cake and eat it too.  The trick
is to prioritize this feature request relative to the other important
bugs that must be fixed, since it affects multiple items from the bottom
to the top of the stack.

Dan