[OLPC Networking] Testing the Wireless driver changes

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Jan 17 14:18:31 EST 2008

>> To completely silence the radio:
>> #!/bin/bash
>> rmmod usb8xxx
>> mv /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin.quiet

> For a more user-friendly solution, (short of a hardware rfkill switch)
> put a toggle somewhere in the control panel for "Don't turn the radio on
> automatically" that is _UN_checked by default, and a wireless
> enabled/disabled button there too.  ...
>     Then ensure that NetworkManager is clued into the preference value
> above, and that NM sets it's initial wireless-enabled state coherently
> with the preference value above as well.
>
> Were these things done, by default the behavior would be the same as it
> is now, but those people who wish insane amounts of control over the TX
> power state can have their fluffy white cake and eat it too.

I'm one of those who wishes for control.  The G1G1 offering has set
up a user population different from the education design of the OLPC
project.  I live in the boonies, have no wireless, and there are no
other radios within range.  My connection is by wired ethernet.

Took me a while to find out that NetworkManager would set up my
wired connection, if I provided a DHCP server.  However, if I happen
to unplug my ethernet cable for a while, NetworkManager reverts eth0
back to radio (and I need to reboot to reconnect as wired).

What I wish for is a user toggle that when I'm at home will inhibit
NetworkManager from supplanting the wired connection.  (But I do
want to restore radio function when I take my XO to a cafe.)

mikus