[OLPC Networking] Satellite bandwidth

ec2274 at columbia.edu ec2274 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:06:31 EST 2007

Hi Julian and others,

Let me know what you find out about distributing content to Africa.
I work at a nonprofit that has been preparing some content so it
will be good to know how this will be stored and deliverd.

Micheal, I have not heard of the one server per school effort. Who
is involved in this.

Thanks
Evelyn
Columbia School of Social Work

Quoting MBurns <maburns at gmail.com>:

 On 2/6/07, Julian Somers <jsomers at wiredocean.com> wrote:

 > I'm researching a project to distribute content in Africa (rss
 feeds,
 > podcasts, streaming media) via satellite using cheap one-way
 > multicast dvb. So I have a couple of questions regarding
 networking
 > with the XO-1.

 I would keep an eye on the One Server Per School (for lack of a
 catchier
 term) sister project that is now being ramped up. Caching content
 is likely
 more important than effective bandwidth usage over the 'wire' to
 the
 Internet.

 Has anyone implemented the OLPC network stack (mesh,
 auto-discovery,
 > etc) on an embedded router that provides connectivity for the
 OLPCs?

 No. The Xbox360's wireless dongle apparently uses the same
 *hardware*, but
 the OLPC uses its own (802.11s) implementations of the routing
 protocol.

 Or is there some documentation I should look at that describes how
 > something like this should work?

  [1]?

 (I'd be interested in a URI for the draft proposal. I've been sent
 a local
 copy, but the networking@ list tends to have a need for a quick
 reference to
 it.)

 Is there an effort under way to design a low-power communication
 or
 > application server that interfaces well with OLPC?

 Haven't heard much recently, but there was talk of long range,
 point-to-point wireless using (I believe) the Green Wi-fi
 project[2].
 Basically constructing rugged, cheap, stand-alone wireless access
 points.

 Hope some of this help. Sorry for the delayed reply.

 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s
 [2] http://www.green-wifi.org/

 --
 Michael Burns * Security Student