[OLPC Networking] Satellite bandwidth

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:53:37 EST 2007

On 2/6/07, Julian Somers <jsomers at wiredocean.com> wrote:

> I'm researching a project to distribute content in Africa (rss feeds,
> podcasts, streaming media) via satellite using cheap one-way
> multicast dvb. So I have a couple of questions regarding networking
> with the XO-1.

I would keep an eye on the One Server Per School (for lack of a catchier
term) sister project that is now being ramped up. Caching content is likely
more important than effective bandwidth usage over the 'wire' to the
Internet.

Has anyone implemented the OLPC network stack (mesh, auto-discovery,
> etc) on an embedded router that provides connectivity for the OLPCs?

No. The Xbox360's wireless dongle apparently uses the same *hardware*, but
the OLPC uses its own (802.11s) implementations of the routing protocol.

Or is there some documentation I should look at that describes how
> something like this should work?

 [1]?

(I'd be interested in a URI for the draft proposal. I've been sent a local
copy, but the networking@ list tends to have a need for a quick reference to
it.)

Is there an effort under way to design a low-power communication or
> application server that interfaces well with OLPC?

Haven't heard much recently, but there was talk of long range,
point-to-point wireless using (I believe) the Green Wi-fi project[2].
Basically constructing rugged, cheap, stand-alone wireless access points.

Hope some of this help. Sorry for the delayed reply.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s
[2] http://www.green-wifi.org/

--
Michael Burns * Security Student