[OLPC Networking] Firewalling...

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 16:31:41 EST 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:53, Ivan Krstić wrote:
IK> Xavier Alvarez wrote:
IK> > My idea was more like creating a sub-network of sorts.
IK> > Assuming that the teacher also gets a laptop, it could be
IK> > configured to work as an access-point/gateway/firewall and
IK> > the kid's simply connect to it.
IK>
IK> Michael is right in pointing out that this is trying to solve
IK> a social problem technically. We're going out of our way to
IK> make these machines fully flexible and hackable by their
IK> owners, so locks that aim to keep the /owner/ of the machine
IK> from doing what she wants simply don't work. And they
IK> shouldn't.

I see the point of it being a social issue.  My network/firewall
idea was just that, an idea about how the social problem
(augmented by technology) could be solved (using technology).

I'm not saying that my approach is the right way, far from it.  I
was trying to raise the issue and see what ideas do people
working on this may come up with.

To be honest, I can't imagine how with the 2B1 impact in a
classroom, I can only guess.

Something I am sure of, though, is that I would *hate* that
because the 2B1's connectivity can't be controlled somehow by the
teacher or school, the knee-jerk reaction will be for them to say
'turn them off'...

If in later stages the kids crack/hack whatever mechanism in
place, good for them, they'll probably learn something.  But at
least the teachers will not feel from the start as if they had
lost control of the student body... you can't forget about
teachers doubts and fears... they could/will be a major (social)
obstacle in this project.

--
XA
=========