[OLPC Networking] Firewalling...

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 7 15:53:40 EST 2006

Xavier Alvarez wrote:
> My idea was more like creating a sub-network of sorts.  Assuming
> that the teacher also gets a laptop, it could be configured to
> work as an access-point/gateway/firewall and the kid's simply
> connect to it.

Michael is right in pointing out that this is trying to solve a social
problem technically. We're going out of our way to make these machines
fully flexible and hackable by their owners, so locks that aim to keep
the /owner/ of the machine from doing what she wants simply don't work.
And they shouldn't.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D