[Mbc] Introducing the OLPC Multi-Battery Charger.

Rabi Karmacharya rabikarma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 12:51:17 EDT 2009

Richard A. Smith wrote:

> Reply-to-all this email with responses to the questions below, a contact
> person and a shipping method (see note *[2]).

Rabi Karmacharya
The MBC can be shipped to UN World Food Program (WFP) office in
Kathmandu. As one of our partners in the OLPC project, WFP has helped us
get shipments including XOs through Nepal's customs.
> Please answer the questions below with as much info as you have.  If you
>   don't know answer to a question thats fine but the more information I
> can get the better to make the product as useful as possible.  Some of
> the questions may be better answered once you have had a chance to use a
> test unit.
>
> OLPC will have test unit(s) shipped to you for evaluation. In return you
> promise to provide prompt feedback information from your test site on
> how you use the device and how many you would be interested in purchasing.
>
> The info I need to know is:
>
> How many XO's do you have in your current deployment/pilot?

Currently 135, but a batch of 2525 arriving tomorrow for the pilot
deployment.
> Where is your deployment/pilot?

6 districts spread around Nepal.
> What power source would you be using? AC or DC?

Currently AC, but seriously looking at solar option, in which case it
will be DC.
> What power source (AC or DC) do you see as most useful for your
> deployment/pilot?

AC for now since most schools are on the grid.
> Would you purchase extra batteries for use with the MBC?

As long as they are not much more expensive than the AC power adapters.
> What time frame you would roll out MBC units.

May
> How many MBC units do you think your deployment would need in the short
> and long term?

Not sure yet. Depends on the test. If it works well, we might go with as
many as 100.
> And of course firmware bugs/problems/improvements or any other info you
> want to feedback to OLPC about the MBC.
>
> How much will production units cost?
> ----------------------
>
> Everybody's favorite question.  The goal has been to keep the cost as
> low as possible while still make the product robust enough to withstand
> the large variability of deployment environments.  Its very
> dependent on the quantity of the order I can place with the
> manufacturer.  In smaller quantities of < 500 it will between $450 -
> $600 USD and a 12 week lead time. With higher quantities OLPC can get
> better pricing.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond and I look forward to everyones
>
> *[1] Based on test measurements and the rated output of the solar
> blankets at sunlight of 1000W/m^2 .  Solar conditions are highly
> variable and will affect the charge time considerably.  The firmware
> attempts to optimize the charging based on the available power.  The
> wide DC input voltage range allows the use of other more powerful panels.
>
> *[2] In the past international customs has been a source of extended
> delays when shipping various items to pilots.  If you know of any
> special instructions that will help with the delivery please indicate them.

Rabi Karmacharya
Executive Director
साझा शिक्षा ई-पाटी
Open Learning Exchange Nepal