[Mbc] Introducing the OLPC Multi-Battery Charger.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:54:13 EDT 2009

Thanks. For the record, what is the advantage of this charger over
plugging a bunch of XOs into extension cords?

o Does it charge batteries *in* the XOs, or separately, for swapping?

o Does it charge batteries faster?

o Does it use less power?

o Anything else?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> Multi-Battery Charger.  Rather than try to send a bunch of duplicate
> e-mails to people or make a big cc: list I decided to create a mailing
> list so that its really easy to share info among everyone interested.
>
> You are on this list and receiving this mail because you are:
>
> 1) A developer or manufacturer of the Multi-Battery Charger,
> 2) Have previously indicated interest in the multi-battery charger,
> 3) Were selected by my as a site that may find the Multi-Battery
> charger useful.
> 4) Involved in OLPC deployments.
>
> 5) On one of mail lists I cross-posted the announcement to. :)
> (Sorry if you get this multiple times)
>
> If you wish to be removed you may do so via the web-interface
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/mbc or let me know and I'll remove you.
>
> If you know of other people who you think would like to receive this
> info please forward it on or let me know and I'll send it to them.
>
> If you are receiving this message via another channel like a forward or
> a cross-post from another list and you want to join the
> mbc at lists.laptop.org list then you can subscribe here:

> What is the Multi-Battery Charger?
> ----------------------------------
>
> The Multi-Battery Charger (MBC) is a product designed by OLPC to assist
> deployments with the task of bulk charging XO laptop batteries.  In a
> nutshell it will:
>
> Charge 15 batteries running on AC input 300 Watts
> Charge  7 batteries running on DC input 150 Watts
> Charge ~5 batteries on 2 60W solar blankets at full sun *[1]
>
> The charge time is approx 2 hours (depending on the input source)
>
> It will run on either AC or DC.
>
> AC input is 120/220V 50 or 60 Hz.
> DC input 9-28 VDC 150W max output.
>
> What is currently available?
> ----------------------------
>
> 19 Pre-production test units.  A few more if you just want AC only
>
> These are fully functional units but have NOT gone through Safety and
> Regulatory approval.
>
> These units also have minor cosmetic damage from some issues with the
> original shipping packaging.
>
> How can I get a test unit?
> ------------------
>
> Reply-to-all this email with responses to the questions below, a contact
> person and a shipping method (see note *[2]).
>
> Please answer the questions below with as much info as you have.  If you
>  don't know answer to a question thats fine but the more information I
> can get the better to make the product as useful as possible.  Some of
> the questions may be better answered once you have had a chance to use a
> test unit.
>
> OLPC will have test unit(s) shipped to you for evaluation. In return you
> promise to provide prompt feedback information from your test site on
> how you use the device and how many you would be interested in purchasing.
>
> The info I need to know is:
>
> How many XO's do you have in your current deployment/pilot?
> Where is your deployment/pilot?
> [...]

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)