[Localization] Fwd: [UKids] Supported Languages (i18n) Project

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Jul 13 07:19:53 EDT 2015

From: "Nick Doiron" <ndoiron at mapmeld.com>
Date: Jul 13, 2015 6:24 AM
Subject: [UKids] Supported Languages (i18n) Project
To: "Community Support Volunteers -- who help respond to help AT laptop.org"
<support-gang at lists.laptop.org>, "unleashkids at googlegroups.com" <
unleashkids at googlegroups.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> Maybe you know me from working with One Laptop per Child in Uganda,
Uruguay, Haiti, and the Marshall Islands, or from discussions on
support-gang and Unleash Kids.  I'm currently working with The Asia
Foundation in Myanmar.

> In OLPC and in my own projects, making multilingual apps
(internationalization or i18n) has been a huge problem. Each language,
platform, database, and JS framework has its own rules, but there is no one
reference to find them.
> For example (getting technical here), most developers know MySQL, but how
many know when to set its encoding to "utf8mb4"? What would you need to
know before launching an app in Myanmar? This isn't taught in CS classes -
it can't be - and even official docs usually have only a few examples.

> So I'm creating a Supported Languages Group (SLANG Group) as a go-to
reference. If I get good feedback, I will fund videos on this subject for
Python, React, Angular, etc - and do a public launch at the Unicode
Conference in October.
> If you're a developer, please send me your thoughts, and consider editing
or adding an article! The current articles are available on GitHub and the
license is Creative Commons Zero.