[Localization] Peruvian Locales

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Sun Sep 15 04:56:49 EDT 2013

(sorry if you got this twice, got moderated for sending from wrong
address initially and forgot to cc alsroot)

Hi fellow localizers,

I've been following with excitement the recent inclusion of Aymara and
Quechua into the core GNU C library (GLIBC),
announced on this list. To all involved, please receive a heartfelt
thank you.

I'm developing the Sugar Network Webui which provides access to the
Sugar Network (a "social" and decentralized repository of software,
projects and content) over a HTML view (check out a demo at
http://network.sugarlabs.org/ ). The same interface is available with
extra funcionality as a Sugar view on XO laptops even without Internet.

Now I've found that it turns out the tools I'm using for L10n (Babel)
don't use the locales from GLIBC but from something called the CLDR,
which is a database mantained by the "Unicode Consortium".

I could only find a reference to these languages in this website:
http://cldr.unicode.org/development/development-process/design-proposals/languages-to-show-for-translation
where they refer to drafts of Aymara as "ay" and Quechua as "qu" instead
of "ayc" and "quz" we've been using.

I've created a bug for Babel (
https://github.com/mitsuhiko/babel/issues/55 ) in the hopes to find a
workaround but probably the best thing to do would be to submit these
locales for inclusion in the CLDR. Please advice if it would be possible
to submit for inclusion.

Regards,
Sebastian