[Localization] Peruvian Locales

Chris Leonard cjl at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 15 10:52:18 EDT 2013

Dear Sebastian,

The use of babel in "webby" frontends is unfortunately making this (a
requirement for both glibc locale AND CLDR locale) a more common
occurrence.

Your experience is not unique in this regard, Adam Holt and Braddock
Gaskill have encountered a similar situration with regard to Haitian
Kreyol and Internet-in-a-Box.

The long term answer is obvious (but long term).  We need to create
appropriate CLDR locales.  A CLDR locale is a bit of a combination of
a glibc locale and some additional translations of country names,
language names and other ISO-code elements.  Our existing work will be
re-used, but we will need to gather more translations.  I will work
with the localizers to gather thi sinformation for an eventual CLDR
locale submission upstream (which is a new proecss for us, so it will
take some working out).

The short term (workaround) is something you should discuss with Adam
and Braddock.  They did a slightly ugly hack to force part of the
behaviour they wanted in IIAB, although it appears to have it's
short-comings as a long term solution, AFAICT), it at least should
allow for some testing.  "Working code now".

Regards,

cjl