[Localization] Sugar in Albanian

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:23:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I was recently approached by some folks from western Austria and
> > Liechtenstein who are interested in doing a small OLPC and/or Sugar
> project
> > in Albania.
> > All other issues aside (and there's many;-) they're obviously also
> > interested in being able to use the machines in Albanian. Looking
> > at http://translate.sugarlabs.org/sq/ it says that about 43% which seems
> > leave about 9000 words untranslated if I'm reading that page correctly.
> > Does anyone have an estimate of how long it would take to translate the
> > missing strings?
> > Thanks,
> > Christoph
>
> Christoph,
>
> That is entirely dependent on the number of localizers working and
> their dedication to the task.  The Huastec (Téenek) team made amazing
> progress from 0% to near %100 in core projects in about a month, but
> they have shown high levels of constant activity from multiple
> contributors.  The Armenian team has made good progress from a zero
> baseline, but it has been slower with fewer active contributors.
>
> Having a good start in Albanian is promising (you are not starting
> from 0%), but the thing to do is to begin recruiting localizers
> immediately, because only tracking their efforts over time will give
> you a real estimate of when it will be complete, there are just too
> many variables.
>
> I will reach out individually to our existing Albanian localizers, but
> I strongly encourage you to begin recruiting additional L10n help
> ASAP.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and information, I'll forward it
accordingly.

I have been emphasizing the importance of on the ground buy-in for quite
some time already. Hence I hope things could start moving into the right
direction when / if the go-ahead from the political and finance people
finally comes.

Cheers,
Christoph

--