[Localization] help on apply translations

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 23:52:08 EDT 2011

2011/9/4 Hugo González <hugo.glez at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm working to put the huastec(téenek) language on the OLPC.
> In the first tries, i use the langpack software, clone from git and
> prepare it to work with my .po files.
> It work really well with a simple set of files, i modified the ini
> files offered by the software to reduce only for the principal sugar
> interface. And then create the package hus_lang_pack_v2.sh for install
> the translations on the XO hardware.
>
> Then i change the .i18n file to set LANG=hus_MX.utf8 and the sugar
> interface went in téenek .
>
> Now i need to use all the translated files, but i have some troubles
> with the versions and the files, and haven't find info about that,
> thats why i'm writting to the list, maybe someone could help me.
>
> In the XO machine, we have the four files for TamTam activities, and
> in pootle we got only TamTamSuite.po. So can I use this file 4 times
> for the TamTamEdit, TamTamJam, TamTamMini and TamTamSynthLab ? or how
> can i part the strings from TamTamSuite in the old format ?

The strings from the TamTam suite of programs overlapped to a very
large degree.  Rather than have localizers repeat the same set of
strings 4 times, a single PO file (TamTamSuite) was generated that
contains all of the strings needed to localize each fo the 4
individual TamTam programs.

> In the langpackgen, they only consider etoys.po, buy i have others,
> are there a list on where to install other files ?

The script is old.  The old eToys structure was a single etoys.po
file.  Since that time, eToys has been split into multiple PO files.
If you create entries for each of the individual PO files fo the new
eToys L10n structure, you should get what you need.

> Finally, i can't understan on how to modify the locals to permit the
> user change between languages without change directly the .i18n file.
> If someone could explain me, i will appreciate a lot.

I'm not 100% sure of that, it might be best to ask that question on
the http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel list of someone like
Gonzalo Odiard or Daniel Drake that has been involved in spinning a
point release with OSBuilder.  They may have the answers you need.

As for the glibc locale for hus_MX, I think it needs a little more
work.  It should be possible to improve on hus_MX by copying over the
country-specific portions fo es-MX.

http://lh.2xlibre.net/locale/hus_MX/

http://lh.2xlibre.net/locale/es_MX/

> Next week the team will be activate the 1800 XO's that we have, so i
> need to have this package ready early to include téenek, and they said
> that OS upgrade is not an option right now.

What version of Sugar (or which OLPC release) are they currently
using?  It is very important to know.  If it is an older 10.1.x series
release, it may be necessary to backport the L10n to the Sugar 0.84
string set (which should not be too difficult as there is a lot of
overlap with current Sugar version strings).