[Localization] help on apply translations

Hugo González hugo.glez at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:56:00 EDT 2011

Hi all,

i'm working to put the huastec(téenek) language on the OLPC.
In the first tries, i use the langpack software, clone from git and
prepare it to work with my .po files.
It work really well with a simple set of files, i modified the ini
files offered by the software to reduce only for the principal sugar
interface. And then create the package hus_lang_pack_v2.sh for install
the translations on the XO hardware.

Then i change the .i18n file to set LANG=hus_MX.utf8 and the sugar
interface went in téenek .

Now i need to use all the translated files, but i have some troubles
with the versions and the files, and haven't find info about that,
thats why i'm writting to the list, maybe someone could help me.

In the XO machine, we have the four files for TamTam activities, and
in pootle we got only TamTamSuite.po. So can I use this file 4 times
for the TamTamEdit, TamTamJam, TamTamMini and TamTamSynthLab ? or how
can i part the strings from TamTamSuite in the old format ?

In the langpackgen, they only consider etoys.po, buy i have others,
are there a list on where to install other files ?

Finally, i can't understan on how to modify the locals to permit the
user change between languages without change directly the .i18n file.
If someone could explain me, i will appreciate a lot.

Next week the team will be activate the 1800 XO's that we have, so i
need to have this package ready early to include téenek, and they said
that OS upgrade is not an option right now.

Best Regards,

Hugo
(Téenek translation team)