[Localization] [Sur] TamTam activity Spanish locales

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 23:50:00 EDT 2011

Chris,
Yes that makes sense, as long as the terms chosen in English are standard ones that would be recognized by musicians anywhere. If students are going to learn names of instruments, they might as well be "real" names.  There is no need to "teach down" to children.  Any child is a potential serious musician and, certainly (we hope) a future "consumer" of music.  If they learn some non-standard local term they will probably need to learn the correct term eventually. If education is our objective, start with the real stuff and add the other later if you like.
So, I might suggest a compromise. Use the standard term a musician would use in the local language (example violin in English = violine in German = バイオリン (pronounced "violin") in Japanese = violín in Spansih.... etc).  So, what is a "fiddle"  it is an English word for a violin played in a particular style.  It is still a violin.  For local folk instruments such as the quena  call it a quena, but you can add a description that it is a "flute-like instrument originating in the music of the Andes".  Similarly, call a churrango a churango, but describe it as a string instrument used in Andean music that is similar to a mandolin, (adding that it is sometimes made from an armadillo shell instead of wood and is tuned differently).  Etc...
A good music dictionary would be helpful for some of this. The Harvard Dictionary of Music was the "gold standard" for this when I majored in music at UCLA way back in the 1950s.  It is still top rated. I don't know how many folk instruments from other countries will be found there, but in general, you couldn't go wrong with it for anything it does cover. I notice from the sample pages that terms from several languages are included:http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Dictionary-University-Reference-Library/dp/0674011635/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309578130&sr=1-1
Caryl