[Localization] [Sur] TamTam activity Spanish locales

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 22:56:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza at openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
>> My idea is to provide links to the English Wikipedia page (where
>> available).  Localizers are presumed to be able to read and understand
>> English (as the base language of the PO files), at least enough to get
>> a better idea of the instrument name in question from the pictures..
>> From the English wikipedia page, cross-wiki links to matching articles
>> in other language wikis can be followed from the left hand menu bar.
>> In this way, even a non-fluent language speaker can probably figure
>> out the proper local instrument name from the context / title of the
>> other language wiki page.
>>
>> If there is no matching article in your language's wikipedia version,
>> this is an opportunity to enhance that wiki by adding an article by
>> localizing and adapting the English version.  This approach has the
>> further benefit of driving contributions to the upstream wiki on
>> musical instruments which can flow back down in the form of a better
>> native language wikislice being developed as a content bundle for
>> music education enhancement, also leveraging the other contributors to
>> that language's wiki.
>
> Is a good idea but also a huge task that is out of the scope of improving
> the activity itself. I would go the other way and is to try to idenfity
> expert sites (community googling) and index them to create a glossary or
> terminology that is more focused on the muscial lingo. As developers the
> learning curve to document musical instruments is larger than to focus on
> the localization itself.
> Maybe asking around CEIBAL we can get some music teachers interested in
> participating with us.

Alexandro,

I must dispute the notion that this is a huge task, at least for
Spanish.  There is 100% coverage of the instruments on the
corresponding wiki-es pages.  It took me about 15 minutes to click on
the lang-en wiki link for each instrument, then on the "Español"
crosslink in the left sidebar to find the corresponding wiki-es
article URL.

I am not a music educator like Caryl, but I must believe there would
be some value in taking those URLS and by simply using Infoslicer,
produce their own wikislice as a textual supplement to TamTam in a
music education setting.  Actually producing that wikislice is left as
an exercise to the reader, but the URLs are provided in the attached
spreadsheet.

It is certainly true that the wiki coverage of the instruments in
other languages is not 100% complete as it is for Spanish, but I stand
by my argument that it would be a valuable contribution for a
localizer to make to go upstream and localize the wiki page so that a
similar wikislice could be produced in their language.