[Localization] Tux Paint for the XO

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Mar 27 15:03:41 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 02:06:01PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au>wrote:
>
> > To: OLPC Localization list
> > Cc: Nancie and Marina (OLPC Vietnam), Bill Kendrick (Tux Paint)
> >
> > Hi everybody :)
> >
> > While updating the Tux Paint website file, I just tripped over this string:
> >
> > > Owners of the One Laptop per Child \"XO-1\" can download a build of Tux
> > Paint that runs on their device.
> >
> > Tux Paint is an excellent app. for kids of all ages (3-103) and fully
> > translated into many languages, including Vietnamese. Are we using it? If
> > not, how about putting a web-link on the desktop?
> >
> > http://www.tuxpaint.org/download/xo/
> >
> > (It's still 41 MB, so instead of downloading in countries like Vietnam, we
> > might need it on CD or USB stick.)
> >
> > Bill, thanks for working with OLPC on this. :)
> >
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tux_Paint
> >
> > from Clytie
> >
> > Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
> >

> Dear Clytie,
>
> As the XO laptop basically has a cut down version of Fedora Linux running
> under the hood as the OS, below the Sugar UI, it is possible to create
> versions of many FOSS programs that will download and run in Sugar
> environments (as .xo bundles) through a process called Sugarization.  It
> appears that this has been done for Tux Paint.
>
> There is a Sugar Labs wiki page on Tux Paint:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Tux_Paint
>
> A version is hosted for download as a .xo file in ASLO (
> acitivities.sugarlabs.org)
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4088
>
> and it's code resides in the Sugar Labs git repo
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/tux-paint
>
> where alsroot (Aleksey Lim, a prolific Sugar activity maintainer) is the
> maintainer and it looks like tvoverbeek also has commit privs.

tvoverbeek (CCed) was wiling to help with sugarizing TuxPaint
(http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/887) but looks like there wasn't
progress.

Since I'm currently focusing on sugarizing, I'll pick this up
(it would be primarily save-to-journal feature).

> The Sugar Labs version does not appear to have been set up for localization
> yet, but all of the necessary elements are there to host that versions PO
> files within the Sugar Labs / OLPC Pootle server.  As you are looking to
> take on the maintenance of localization for the original Tux Paint package,
> you would be in a unique position to work with alsroot to leverage the
> localization effort across both the original and the Sugar versions of Tux
> Paint.
>
> I am not sure how much the two versions differ.

Current version of ASLO is upstream 0.9.20 with print feature disabled.

--
Aleksey