[Localization] Translating the manuals?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 23:11:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au>wrote:

> 1. Has anyone translated any part of these manuals into Vietnamese?

No.

2. If not, can we get this text on Pootle (e.g. using po4a [1] which
> converts many doc formats into PO files)?

It's not necessarily that simple, this deserves a longer answer, which I am
composing, but for now, I have two comments.  1) There is going to be an
effort to update the existing manual (this upcoming weekend in the
Washington DC area) to reflect newer versions of Sugar interface, so it
might be best to wait until that effort produces an updated manual draft.
2) It might be easiest to use the FLOSS manuals process for localizing their
books rather then try ot fit it into a Pootle-centric process.

3. To aid translators like me who are mostly connected to OLPC through
> Pootle, could we please have a link on Pootle to the OLPC translation howto
> (priorities, which files are where, how to translate them etc.)?

There is no question that our documentaion pages on the wiki(s) need
improvement.   One element of that is consolidation, the existing notes on
wiki.laptop.org is getting out-of-date, but the notes on
wiki.sugarlabs.orgare not as complete or as well organized as they
could be.

The links on the bottom of this page are a good starting point:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team

Anyone is welcome to contribute to improving the wiki, I recently created
this page about the various projects on the Pootle server, but more work is
needed:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects