[Localization] Communication path for non-English help requests

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 02:59:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Clytie Siddall
<clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:
> To: Serge Stinckwich (UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam)
> Cc: OLPC Localization list, Marina and Nancie (OLPC Vietnam)
>
> On 17/03/2010, at 9:43 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> Hi Clytie,
>>
>> this XO experience in Saigon looks very interesting, Do you know, how
>> i can contact them ?
>> I'm living in Hanoi and use Squeak and Smalltalk every day, so i could
>> help them if they have some specific needs.
>
> Serge, you are a gift from heaven! This is exactly what we need: a local volunteer who uses and understands the system.
>
> The email contacts for Marina and Nancie are CCd above. Please feel free to get in touch. OLPC projects in Vietnam need all the support we can give them.

I already talk with Nancie a few months ago. I'm usually busy with my
work in Ha Noi, but i plan to visit HCMC in a few weeks. Maybe i could
meet some local OLPC supporters here ?
I made an Etoys presentation in Ha Noi some months ago:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/an-instrument-whose-music-is-ideas-2036947
and also a Smalltalk presentation :
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/smalltalk-bar-camp-hanoi-2009

>> BTW, i have also created a mailing-list for Smalltalk (and Squeak) for
>> Vietnamese people.
>> You could register here:
>> There are 10 people right now.
>
> What a terrific idea! The "smalltalk" name is encouraging in Vietnamese, too (chuyện phiếm): it makes contact less intimidating. Nancie and Marina, please encourage Vietnamese-speaking XO users to use this mailing list for support and discussion.

Thank you for the vietnamese translation ! In fact, Smalltalk is the
programming language behind Squeak Etoys :
http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk
The mailing-list is mostly for people who want to discuss about
Smalltalk and his differents flavors like Squeak. So
Vietnamese-speaking XO users are welcome, but pay attention that this
list is not really focused on OLPC or Squeak.
We are also looking for vn translators for the 2 books : "Squeak by
example" : http://www.squeakbyexample.org/ and "Pharo by example" :
http://www.pharobyexample.org/ I made the french translation of these
two books.

> Also, I've just finished the etoys translation into Vietnamese. I don't have an XO and I don't use the system, so I could really do with some feedback on the XO translation generally. In particular, many of the etoys programming strings were cryptic or (ahem) badly-written in English. I've logged some bug reports on the PO file in general, but what I really need is feedback from people using the translation. (Half the time I'm guessing the purpose or meaning of the string!) I'm comfortable with programming languages, but some of Squeak's terminology is a bit strange. So, please send me feedback, and encourage Vietnamese Squeak/etoys users to send me feedback, on the strings currently translated, and on the full translation you should (?) receive in the next release.

I also participate in the french Etoys translation and sometimes we
had the same concerns with the upstream english. I will test you Etoys
vn translation when i found some times.
Best regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich