[Localization] Communication path for non-English help requests

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 11:25:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au>wrote:

> To: OLPC Localization list, OLPC Help address
>
> The OLPC project in Saigon is trying to set things up so students can
> continue to use the XOs effectively after the project has finished. From the
> project blog:
>

> http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/class-fourteen-long-live-the-internet/
>
> On 16/03/2010, at 11:53 AM, SaigonOLPC wrote:
>
> We saved the help at laptop.org address to write to if something is wrong
> with their computers. I told them that it is OK to write in Vietnamese as it
> is possible for the help group to use Google translator to translate their
> letters into English.
>

> Hmm... machine translation has its limits, and from what I have seen of
> Eng-Viet and Viet-Eng autotranslation on Google, Vietnamese is a good
> example of them.
>
> What we really need is a mechanism for non-English help requests. Any
> ideas?
>
> Meanwhile, for the team which is reading help at laptop.org, if you don't
> have a Vietnamese speaker on your team, and you get emails in Vietnamese (it
> looks like this:
>
> Chào quý vị
>
> Tôi gặp khó khăn trong việc sử dụng máy tính

Dear Clytie,

The help at laptop.org address points to an RT instance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_Tracker

RT is a helpdesk ticket tracking system that is a central tool for the OLPC
Support Gang.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_Gang

As you probably saw when you CC:ed help at laptop.org on your message, you get
an auto-response from the RT system with a ticket number.  Any member of the
Support Gang can then "take" that ticket and provide a response, hopefully
bringing the requestor's issue ot a resolution.  In the case of tickets in
Vietnamese, I suspect that the ticket would be brought to the attention of
Nancy (Vung Vieng Fishing Village) and Marina (OLPC Saigon) who are both
members of the Support Gang.  Now that you've been introduced to them, I'm
sure they would feel free to reach out to you if further Vietnamese language
assistance was needed.  You would certainly be more than welcome to join the
Support Gang yourself, just contact Adam Holt who is OLPC's Community
cat-herder . . . or some such suitable title :-)