[Localization] Communication path for non-English help requests

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 07:13:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:
> To: OLPC Localization list, OLPC Help address
> The OLPC project in Saigon is trying to set things up so students can
> continue to use the XOs effectively after the project has finished. From the
> project blog:
> http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/class-fourteen-long-live-the-internet/
> On 16/03/2010, at 11:53 AM, SaigonOLPC wrote:
>
> We saved the help at laptop.org address to write to if something is wrong with
> their computers. I told them that it is OK to write in Vietnamese as it is
> possible for the help group to use Google translator to translate their
> letters into English.
>
> Hmm... machine translation has its limits, and from what I have seen of
> Eng-Viet and Viet-Eng autotranslation on Google, Vietnamese is a good
> example of them.
> What we really need is a mechanism for non-English help requests. Any ideas?
> Meanwhile, for the team which is reading help at laptop.org, if you don't have
> a Vietnamese speaker on your team, and you get emails in Vietnamese (it
> looks like this:
> Chào quý vị
> Tôi gặp khó khăn trong việc sử dụng máy tính
> )
> which don't autotranslate properly, please feel free to send them to me. I'm
> not always able to participate, but when I can, I'll translate for you, both
> ways.
> Hopefully we'll come up with an effective mechanism, with some redundancy.

Hi Clytie,

this XO experience in Saigon looks very interesting, Do you know, how
i can contact them ?
I'm living in Hanoi and use Squeak and Smalltalk every day, so i could
help them if they have some specific needs.

BTW, i create also a mailing-list for Smalltalk (and Squeak) for
vietnamese people.
You could register here:
There is 10 people right now.

Best regards,