[Localization] Plurals handling in etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 16 07:38:33 EDT 2010

On 16.03.2010, at 08:18, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> Hi everyone :)
>
> I've just submitted a bug report:
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-680
>
> about the lack of plurals handling in the etoys PO file on Pootle. This is a surprisingly basic error. :S

Maybe not so surprising if you think about that Etoys/Squeak is more than 10 years old (actually some bits are literally >30 years old) and has only very recently adopted gettext-style translations. As you can see from the number of strings that had to be marked as translatable, it's entirely unsurprising it's not perfect.

In fact, since we had to write our own gettext exporter I'm almost certain it does not even handle plural forms at all yet. So don't expect a fix soon. But thanks for opening that ticket, someone will get around to it eventually :)

- Bert -