[Localization] various glitches

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue Sep 22 04:16:27 EDT 2009

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero escribió:
>> viewslides.po file has an 'X' next to it (and 0% completion) due to the
>> following error (from X mouseover):
>>
>> viewslides.po: 70: 10: invalid multibyte sequence
>>

> This seems to be ok now. at least it works for me)

Yes, Sayamindu fixed this (the file encoding was specified as ASCII when
it was UTF-8).

>> We probably want a native speaker
>> to review all of this, but there is a lot of new technical stuff in
>> there that will be problematic for most translators without programming
>> experience.
>>

> I'll take a look.

Thanks for reviewing the suggestions that Chris and I had made - I see
you fixed some typos as well.  I don't know if you get the JavaScript
check and X to accept/reject suggestions, but for whatever reason the
suggestions that we made were still left in Pootle - I don't think that
was intentional, so I removed all of the ones where you took one of our
suggestions (possibly correcting typos).

Something that we may want to consider for Turtle Art specifically, as
well as possibly more generally for Sugar are some issues for
consistency in our (approach to) terminology:

set (verb) - establecer or fijar ?
push (verb, to stack) - empujar or apilar ?
pop (verb, to stack) - sacar or desapilar ?
loop (verb) - bucle or repetir ?
jog (verb) - desplazar ?

For option setting, I had suggested "fijar" (I wasn't even aware of
establecer, which is used in a few other places in Sugar, and seems to
be more common in other open source translations (per open-tran.eu).
Given the orientation of Sugar toward children, I think fijar may still
be better, as it is simpler, but it may not be quite as universal across
dialects or the Atlantic Ocean.

The stack operations push and pop are ones where I used apilar and
desapilar [from http://es.wikipedia.org/Pila%20(informatica)] but I
don't know whether empujar / sacar (which are used for push / pop by
themselves) would be better - ultimately the question is whether we want
to use (non-standard) terminology that may be clearer to children, to
make it easier to learn programming, or to use more standard
terminology, so that they learn more.

Similar arguments can be made for the "loop" verb.  As a computer
scientist, using "loop" as a verb seems perfectly natural after so many
years of programming, but perhaps Walter should have used "repeat"
instead?  (I don't even know whether bucle is used as a verb in Spanish,
for programming or otherwise).

The "jog stack right" and "jog stack down" phrases are pretty opaque to
me, even as a computer scientist - these are definitely not standard
terminology, and I really don't know what Walter is talking about here.
I did come up with a useful term ("desplazar") courtesy of Google
translation tools that seemed to fit, so I added that as a suggestion.

>> While I have translation rights for Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese
>> Fructose, I only have suggestion rights for Glucose and Honey (I cannot
>> send / update translations)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and work

You're welcome.  Going through Chris' and my suggestions in the new
translations (to remove the now-redundant ones) I noticed that while I
have rights to review (accept/reject) suggestions in Spanish Fructose, I
don't have that right in Glucose or Honey.  If the administrator for the
Spanish translation team could give me that right, I would be happy to
go through and remove the various now-redundant suggestions present in
those projects.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com