[Localization] SLP y Nayarit-Mexico

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:05:42 EDT 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Janet!  To add a localization, you should check with Sayamindu
> and our localization list.  There is an interface for adding new
> languages for Sugar :
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/
>
> (sayamindu: is there a sugarlabs localization list more active than
> the one at laptop.org ? )

Nope - localization at lists.laptop.org is the only one.

There are two main steps to get a new language in Sugar

* The first is to gather the locale data for the language, which would
take care of region and language specific information, such as name of
months, weekdays, currency symbol, etc etc I can help a native speaker
of this language (or anyone who is sufficiently comfortable with the
language) to turn the locale data into something usable in Sugar
* The second step is to translate as much of the Sugar interface as
possible - http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/pootleforxo2_5.pdf is
a primer on how to do that.

Of course, both the locale data gathering and translation can proceed
simultaneously.

Let me know if there is anything else that you need to know.
Warm regards,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta