[Localization] Sayamindu, add a language to Pootle

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Jul 9 14:33:45 EDT 2009

Chris Leonard asks:
> How many plural forms are there in Tzotzil?
>
> If you could please review this page:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l10n/pluralforms
>
> It describes some of the parameters needed to properly set up a new language
> in Pootle, specifically number of plurals and plural forms equation.
>
> cjl
>
> I also checked Launchpad, but they had no information on Tzotzil.
> https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages

Tzotzil (ISO 639-3 code 'tzo') is one of the Maya languages (ISO 639-2
code myn); Launchpad does not seem to have the expanded 639-3 set.

A lot of the same issues regarding plural forms for Aymara discussed in
these threads
(http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2009-March/002014.html
and
http://www.mail-archive.com/translate-pootle@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02140.html)
apply to the Maya languages as well.  In particular, while there are
plural markers (e.g. house vs. houses) in the Maya languages, it is
generally the case that after a number, the singular form of a noun is
acceptable or even required.  Since the plural equation is only used to
handle numeric quantities (e.g. 0 houses / 1 house / 2 houses), it would
probably be fine to use a plural form "nplurals=1;", but as there are
increasingly loan words from Spanish that are pluralized by Spanish
rules, and in some Maya languages plurals may appear after a number
greater than 1, it may be safer to use "nplurals=2; plural=n != 1;" and
just use the same translations for singular and plural forms if that is
appropriate.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com