[Localization] eToys strings that look like literals

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sat Feb 21 00:26:14 EST 2009

Thanks to both Kora and Bert for their prompt and helpful replies. :)

On 21/02/2009, at 12:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 20.02.2009, at 14:50, Korakurider wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi everyone :)
>>>
>>> I'm a bit uneasy about strings like these in eToys:
>>> ___
>>> attachmentOwnerChanged
>>>
>>> connectedTo
>>>
>>> destinationConnected
>>>
>>> destinationDisconnecting
>>> ___
>>>
>>> There is no contextual info, and they really don't look like
>>> translatable text to me.
>>  Actually these are name of events that are triggered by some Widget.
>>  (We have been trying to un-camel case, but we are failing here....)
>>
>>  If you have Etoys environment to play with, try this:
>>      1. drag "Connector Arrow" from "Connector" category of
>> ObjectCatalog to desktop
>>      2. open viewer for the arrow, drag any tile to desktop and
>> create scriptor
>>      3. press "normal" button , then menu titled "when this script
>> run" is showed.
>>          available events for the widget are listed in the menu.
>>          And you could see those events like
>> "attachmentOwnerChanged" in "more..."
>>

>>> Are we supposed to translate them? And if so, do we have to leave
>>> spaces out of the translation? (This looks awful in my language,
>>> because of all the combined diacritics: Vietnamese needs very clear
>>> spacing.)
>>      Though event name is spelled in CameCase without spacing, you
>> are free how to spell translation :-)
>

> In fact we encourage to not use camelCase.

I strongly suggest you start including some contextual information
(use msgctxt) in your file: you really don't want translators guessing
what to do.

Using contextual information raises the quality of translations. So
often, we don't have the time to test out each string in the
interface, and too many strings have little distinct meaning when
isolated.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n