[Localization] Scratch file munged

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Feb 20 02:51:53 EST 2009

Thanks for your replies. :)

On 19/02/2009, at 3:16 AM, John Maloney wrote:

> Thanks for your help in translating Scratch to Vietnamese. Actually,
> it appears that Scratch 1.3.1 already a Vietnamese translation, last
> edited by Nguyen Phuc Tho <tho at bdcf.org>.

Do you have the last modification date from Tho? Sometimes these
translations are quite old. I send emails off into the void, and get
no reply. :(

> Does this look okay?

No. For some reason, the PO header is set to Latin-1:

which munges Vietnamese: most of our language lies outside the Latin-1
charset.

e.g.

msgid "set pen size to %n"
msgstr "đặt độ lớn
nét vẽ bằng %n"

I found the file on Pootle also had that charset, so I amended it and
uploaded the amended file. Unfortunately, today I checked again, and
the header had been changed back to iso-8859-1.

Is this happening in some automatic way? Please set this header, and
any header for Vietnamese, to utf-8. Our language _requires_ UTF-8.

I am going to have to separate the strings I've added to the file on
Pootle, and the strings from Tho, and merge them back together in a
UTF-8 file. I'll upload that file today.

> 	-- John
>
> P.S. In case you haven't yet see it, there are some hints for
> translators here:
>
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Translation/Translating_Scratch

Thanks. :)

> <vi.po>
>

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Evelyn Eastmond wrote:
>> Thanks Clytie for the message!
>>
>> I'm from the Scratch development team, and I'm not sure why the
>> Vietnamese translation file on the server got corrupted.
>>
>> However, I think my colleague John Maloney sent you our clean
>> Vietnamese po file that shipped with Scratch 1.3.
>>
>> I would suggest uploading that file to the Pootle server, and then
>> making any corrections to that.
>> This way, you don't have to fix the strings one by one.
>>
>> Please let me know if you did not receive John's email or need me
>> to send you the PO file again.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Evelyn
>> MIT Scratch Team

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n