[Localization] Localization: What works and what does not (Sayamindu Dasgupta)

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Fri Dec 18 17:32:00 EST 2009

Hi Sayamindu, hi Carlo

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Carlo Falciola wrote:

> - maybe line in source code is too fine grain, and is not really easy to
> understand the context from unknown code... I can actually already do it
> by myself in "very" special cases by grep, but takes a lot to derive
> what the code snoppet is doing... maybe to automatically get the name of
> the class/object/procedure where the string lies may be a better hint.

With etoys at least, this is already the case, I think. This is not bad,
since it helps finding the code lines (if you're familiar with squeak-
smalltalk in this case). But as illustrated with Carlo's example 'play',
translators would need the possibility to split the translation according
to context. If a string like 'open' is used e.g. in etoys in several
scripts, being translator I'd like to have the possibility to replicate
this message-string for any (or groups) of these scripts and reduce the
context.

Something like

msgid: 'open'
used in: script1, script2, script3, script4

should be able to become

msgid: 'open'
used in: sript1, script2
tranlation: 'Öffne'

msgid: 'open'
used in: sript3
tranlation: 'öffnen'

msgid: 'open'
used in: sript4
tranlation: 'offen''

As far as it concerns etoys, I'd be glad if we could get at least these
three message-contexts:
- etoys-tile
- menu-entry
- balloon-help

This would solve most of the translation-ambiguousities I've encoutered so
far.

Markus