[Localization] Gtranslator on the xo

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Sat Aug 22 06:42:31 EDT 2009

Hola Sebastian,

Selon Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>:

> I'm very interested in trying this and working on a good workflow,
> hopefully one where I can build the translated sugar instantly and
> let the translator experiment. Once we have this workflow, I'll make
> a big invite for Quechua speakers.
> I think this is a good way to go, how do we integrate with the pootle
> then?
>
> I'll investigate, lets share what we find.
>
> Thank you
>
> Sebastian

After installing gtranslator on a XO with Sugar 0.84.2, I tried the installation
of virtaal and Translate Toolkit
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/translate/files/ ) but didn't succeed in
running them on the XO.

This said, those tools can be used on standard PC too.

With an offline translation tool (gtranslator or another one), the workflow
could be as following:

- download a .po file from the pootle server.
- open it with the translation tool and update the translation
- compile the .po files into binary .mo files with msgfmt
- copy the .mo file in the respective directory: the .mo files are stored in
/usr/share/locale/<your locale>/LC_MESSAGES/ with the name of the original file
+ the extension .mo (e.g. labyrinth.mo is the compiled file for labyrinth.po)
or, alternatively, in the /home/olpc/Activities/<Name of the
Activity>/locale/<Your locale>/LC_MESSAGES/ , with the name (for example
"org.gnome.Labyrinth.mo".
- test your activity with your translation
- correct the required strings with your translation tool
- upload the corrected .po file on the Pootle server

Comments appreciated

Muy atentamente/Best regards

Samy