[Localization] 8.2 Languages, Keyboards and Layouts

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:21:11 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sayamindu and team,
>
> Can I get a sanity check on the documentation regarding language support
> in 8.2?
>
> The relevant section of the release notes is at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0#Languages_and_keyboards
>
> Please confirm that all of those languages listed are in the base 8.2
> image. Can you also add the localization code e.g. mn_MN and maybe the
> text as it would appear in the language control panel if you think that
> would be useful.
>
> You can use a wild card to cover and a note to cover sub-variants. e.g.
> es_* means we support Spanish and you get the same translation for all
> variants.
>
> Another helpful item (aka not critical but nice to have if someone has
> time) here would be to link to the documentation on how to change
> keyboard mappings. A brief explanation about what to do to change the
> keyboard layout may go a long way towards answering support questions.

What particularly are you looking for?

Instructions for setting up keyboard switching in Terminal are on the
Customizing NAND images page.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard
On bilingual XOs, the times/divide key is replaced with a keyboard
switching key.

On the page

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts

I put the terminal commands for switching to each keyboard layout
discussed, using setxkbmap.

For my own use, I create shell scripts for each keyboard and writing
system that I use or test to get back to a keyboard with ASCII so I
don't get stuck.

> BTW for my own edification, do we "automatically" change the keyboard
> layout if we load 8.2 on an XO with a non-English keyboard?

That's controlled by the configuration file discussed on the NAND images page.

> Also, please see the release check list for this release at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ECO/8.2.0/Checklist#Test
>
> We want a somewhat more rigorous test of a few key languages. Please
> update that section of the checklist as needed and let me know what
> final test you think we should do to "sign off" on a language in this
> release.
>
> Kim,
>
> On the keyboard list. Can you confirm that all of those keyboards listed
> can be manufactured and that we will test them?
>
> I would rather be conservative and correct here, so please remove any
> that are not completely confirmed and available.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Greg S

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
http://fivethirtyeight.com/ Obama by 70 in EC!