[Localization] 8.2 Languages, Keyboards and Layouts

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:21:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sayamindu,
>>
>> I added this URL
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Changing_Keyboard_Layout
>>
>> to the localization section of the 8.2 release notes:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0#Languages_and_keyboards
>>
>> Let me know if that description is correct.
>>

> The language codes are not used to change the keyboard layout. The
> keyboard layout related variables are stored in manufacturing data,
> which may or may not be the same as the language code. I added the
> link to the page after the keyboard layouts have been listed.

The actual source for keyboard layout names is the set of names of
files in the symbols directory, and the variant names defined inside
them. The manufacturing data as I understand it only describe the
layouts activated in a particular version, according to the wishes of
the country concerned. We will have to support language students in
reconfiguring their systems and choosing other layouts.

The location is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols, I think. I'm required
to be on a Windows computer today. :(

See

man setxkbmap

for a few more clues.
--
Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!