[Localization] OLPC website translation

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat May 3 17:06:35 EDT 2008

After much wiki-searching, I came across
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Laptop.org

which allowed me to find some internationalized HTML examples of the
www.laptop.org site hidden away as orphaned sub-pages under User:Felice.
They look to be "gettext-ready".

The www.laptop.org site presents such an obvious example of i18n
template files + .po files = l10n content that these files should probably
placed somewhere more prominent and a content-focused explanation about l10n
created to match the extensive documentation of code l10n.

The incorporation of i18n from the very beginning of development is nearly
as important for content as it is for code, but it will need to be made
understandable to a less computer-centric audience to empower subject
matter experts in education, health, science, etc. make meaning ful
contributions.

I'd also note that I came across some issues with the actual localization of
 www.laptop.org, but for now, I have access to the example files I need for
auto-tutorial Constructionist learning on how to craft HTML content in an
i18n-ready form.

cjl