[Localization] Aymara & Quechua Poodle

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:55:37 EST 2008

Hi all,
I was feeling a bit bored with cleaning up PO files today ;), and
decided to take a stab at this. I have managed to half-implement a
hack which would show a box on the right, showing the translation in
the selected UI language of Pootle (so, if you are translating Aymara,
and you have your Pootle interface in Spanish, the box on the right
will show a the translation of the selected string in Spanish). I
avoided getting rid of the English msgid altogether, since the Spanish
translation may be wrong, leading to a cascading effect (one wrong
translation leading to another).
The code is still _proof of concept_, and terribly hacky - but I think
I can polish this to something useable.
Take a look at http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pootle_intermediate_lang.png
for an idea of what I'm trying to achieve.
Will this help ?
Thanks,
Sayamindu

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> Until Pootle grows proper support for displaying multiple languages for
>  translators, (I believe Sayamindu has made this request of Pootle; and
>  we encourage any motivated web hacker to help the Pootle project to add
>  this support) your best bet is likely to be to download the .pot files
>  for Spanish and work with them in a text editor, and reupload the
>  result.
>                                Best regards,
>                                     - Jim
>

>  On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 10:09 -0600, Yama Ploskonka wrote:
>  > I am currently cooperating with possible translation teams for Aymara
>  > and Quechua based in Bolivia and Peru.
>  >
>  > One major, BIG issue with the current Poodle setup is that most
>  > bilingual speakers of those languages have as a second language Spanish,
>  >   not English, though they might have a small understanding of some
>  > English terms as used in Computerese.
>  >
>  > As such having the English terms as the "key" for translation is as best
>  > impractical.  Actually in most cases it makes the whole exercise
>  > impossible.  I will be posting to both lists (OLPC - Localization and
>  > Quechua Aymara IT - Runasimi) relevant discussions in this subject,
>  > looking for a viable solution, which needs a higher level of
>  > intercultural cooperation.
>  >
>  > Yama
>  > Localization mailing list