[Localization] [Important] Translating strings for the ActivationServer

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 01:29:41 EST 2008

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero writes:
> Thanks to Peru's volunteers these strings are all  already translated to .es, we are waiting
> to solve some fuzzy strings..(it seems that developer's English is very difficult to translate precisely :)).

Although not located in Peru, as a native speaker of developer's English I was able to provide translations of some of these trickier bits into Spanish.  I marked a lot of them fuzzy not because of any major doubts, but rather because I wanted a native speaker of Spanish to review them for awkward phrasing or vocabulary choices that could be improved.  I also spent quite a bit of time revising entries for consistency of terminology, and wanted to run these by the native speakers as well.

One of the trickier terms was "lease" - rather than use arrendamiento or arriendo, I chose concesión, which appears to be commonly used for DHCP leases, the most similar use of the termi "lease" that I could think of. Native speaker feedback is particularly welcome here

For "request" (noun) I standardized on solicitud (rather than petición), however where practical I tried to recast in a more direct form using the verb pedir (e.g. for "hasn't made any requests for leases" I used "no ha pedido concesiones").

For "password" many of the translations had used clave (de aceso) - I replaced these with contraseña, which I find more common, and which also avoids confusion with clave de desarrollador. (Although I wonder if that should be llave de desarrollador?)

In one case UUID was translated as CUIT (something like a social security number?) but I don't see any benefit in using another term than UUID itself - are there any localized use cases for UUID (like DHCP leases) that could provide guidance?

Based on discussion on the wiki, for "laptop" I standardized on portátil.  This is something where an improved Pootle terminology glossary would help a lot - I'm still working on an addition to the translate-toolkit that would do a better job than poglossary (or the equivalent manual steps) for extracting key terms from the existing .po/.pot files.

The English text could be more consistent as well - it uses both "laptop" and "machine" without any clear distinction between the terms ("machine" should probably only be used when the machine in question might not be an XO laptop).

@alex
mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com