[Localization] Turtle Art translation

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 13:17:05 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yuan Chao wrote:
>  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com> wrote:
>  >>  Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
>  >>  > Turtleart uses Gif files for it's interface - and you'll have to edit
>  >>  1) Will all localized images be distributed or only english/native lang? What
>  >>  about countries where have multiple local languages? How is that localized
>  >>  images distribution process going to happen. Best is to have a separate
>  > I guess there's no automatically image changing for different locale
>  > here? One more issue is that for a more complex character glyphs
>  > system, ex. locales using Kanji, the text area pixel size of Turtle
>  > Art is generally too small.
>  >
>  >
>  Hmmm, that sounds like another problem. You can probably use some general glyphs
>  that depict the action in the block: if, and, or, etc... Are there such glyphs
>  used in your schools/curricula or you have only Kanji names for that?
Well, in Chinese we can use condenced wording in very few characters
so would be much easier to fit in than that of Latin. However, as
Chinese characters are in square shape in some condition height may be
not enough. This may need more manual tuning. I'm not sure for other
CJK locales which are generally have more complex glyph than Latin.
Also, I already feel the fonts are quite small in current English
version of Turtle Art.

--
Best regards,
Yuan Chao