[Localization] UNESCO Science book

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Mon Jun 23 09:24:28 EDT 2008

There was some interest in this resource.

After digging deep into Google and the Unesco search engine I found this:

French has the complete PDF !
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0000/000056/005641F.pdf
Also English, it turns out,
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0000/000056/005641e.pdf
and even Spanish! (though it won't open for me yet...)
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0000/000056/005641so.pdf

the rest here I wrote before I got the PDFs, so I am sending it for the
fun value :-(

 From the Introduction of my Spanish copy,
"at the end of WWII, in many countries, many schools were destroyed.  As
these establishments reorganized, the need for science materials was
felt, since in those countries teaching of science is traditionally
founded in observation and experimentation"
Thus UNESCO sponsored the publication of 'Suggestions for Science
Teachers in Devastated Countries', by J.P. Stephenson, City of London
School, 1947(?).  This book was later translated to French, Spanish,
Chinese, Siamese, (?) Arabic.

My "Manual de la UNESCO para la enseñanza de las Ciencias" claims
copyright in Argentina in 1966, as a 3rd edition revised and improved,
first edition 1959, as a 'translation of the original in French',
"Manuel de l'UNESCO pour l'Enseignement des Sciences".  It is indicated
also that the original was in English, published in 1956, which was
'translated to seven languages and in preparation for 14 more'.

It has been my experience in Bolivia, Uruguay, and the Dominican
Republic that often it was the only Science manual the good teachers had
access to, with practical ideas on how to _teach_Science_, all other
teachers at best teaching History of Science, or Science Themes as a
Memory Exercise, or Ways to Prove That Calculus Has any Purpose At All.

English
'UNESCO Sourcebook for Science Teaching'
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/9231010581/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1166466655&sr=8-1
here an interesting variant with some local colour,
http://uq.edu.au/_School_Science_Lessons/
and who was in charge:
http://unescoscience.blogspot.com/2006/12/unesco-source-book-for-science.html

finally, before I started digging deep in Google and found the PDFs, I
took a picture of a couple pages of my own copy,

http://bolinux.org/images/UNESCOsciencePage036.gif

Yama