[Localization] [Educators] Empowering teachers

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Thu Jun 19 13:33:24 EDT 2008

  Min  Educ  <===> local community <-++
           ||  |  /\            \\   ++
           \/  ↓  ||            //__/ |
teacher<=>teacher<=>teacher<+-<------/
|   |   | |   |   | |   |   |\  \\  /
v   v   v v   v   v v   v   v|  // /
|<=>|<=>| |<=>|<=>| |<=>|<=>|+-<--/
   kids      kids      kids

It is my opinion that the third party Bastien mentions might have to do
with implementing policies that stress two-way communication, both
to-from OLPC and end users, and also transversal communication among
stakeholders including solidly engineered features that *encourage*
feedback *by default*.

Sorry, but I am totally convinced that is the only way something like
Constructivism and this whole project has any chance.  I see the current
OLPC deployment model as being almost sort-of-OK as long as we use
Instructivist approaches (one-way, no discussion required, thank you,
keep moving), but not if we want to go further.

Brilliant hardware like the XO, even with Sugar, will not make things
*happen* if the enforced policies are not actually designed to encourage
things to happen.

*Current*
Someone from OLPC Boston trains trainers within the Min of Ed, those
then train teachers (often in a classroom setting, using training
techniques hundreds of years old), teachers keep using the same old
approach, "everybody in the class do the same thing" activities, using
XOs instead of pen and paper.  (Then they find - with surprise - that
the mesh doesn't work for that).

No one in this lot is enabled / enabling to conduct transversal
communication (oh, it is much talked about, how important it is, Web
2.0, and all the rest).
The OLPC community is somewhere in the shadows, feeling quite unwelcome
and useless, and getting smaller by the minute.
Also, this justifies OLPC-Boston in refusing to allow small deployments,
"because they cost too much".  And it "proves" that the community cannot
be trusted.

*Proposed*
Teachers are trained using tools downloaded into the XOs they have been
handed (the medium is the message) and hopefully connected to a server
with training materials (Moodle, for example).

While (paid and volunteer) mentors are available, their main role is to
encourage teachers to submit any doubt or query using interactive tools
(feedback windows in a Moodle training  (?)).
Only when that is not giving a prompt solution do the mentors give an
answer, but avoid it if at all possible (the fact they are not highly
trained - on purpose - should help here).
Again, the point is, we are enabling the teachers (the medium is the
message) to use the XO as a *tool for learning*.
They do it at their own pace, with some supervision merely to keep them
motivated and focused, but they can learn from different training modules.
Fringe benefits:  as the training tool is improved by this sort of
feedback, very soon we have optimal training tools, that can be scaled
up or down, at no additional expense.
Future cost in training materials to train one more teacher or to train
10.000 is nearly zero.

Also, teachers learn that there is a different way of doing things in a
One Laptop Per Person environment:  not everyone needs to be doing the
same exact thing, friends can band together in a circumstantial group,
even collaborate using the machine, among themselves, and with others
connected to the network, in the same school or thousands of miles away.

This gets them to *work together*, maybe for the first time in their
lives, and is not at all contrary to working together also with Ministry
people, and OLPC Boston, and the OLPC community, and the local
community, and, especially, *working together with the kids*, which is
the ultimate success in re-addressing the school education model toward
a more fertile approach of the teacher-student interaction.

OLPC Boston and the OLPC community collaborate to prepare these
materials initially, and lurk and contribute to the feedback process, to
polish the materials further.
Volunteers feel needed, loved, and then maybe there's more of them...
Being enabled to contribute is the raison d'être of volunteers.
The local community also comes into the picture, because the model is
encouraging it to.

Since now we have teachers who *know for a fact* that the XO actually
works as a learning tool, they have incredible buy-in and encouragement
to help their kids discover and explore those same possibilities, with a
different approach as to how a class is conducted, away from the "one
size fits all" mentality.  Even those teachers who had some difficulties
"getting it" are much more aware of what's what, than by just being *told*.

Now, that is the way I see what was meant to happen(?), and what
*should* happen.  There is a disconnect in the present tense, at several
levels (Bastien mentions a couple), but getting to those is beyond this
post, that is way too long already.

So, let's establish those policies and framework that actually enable
using the XOs the way they are meant to be used.

Let's play on "the medium is the message".

Let's work on interactive models for teacher training, that encourage
teacher-to-teacher collaboration, that encourage teachers exploring and
discovering, that enable teachers to contribute to other teachers learning.

Guess what?  Those teachers might then be prepared to pass on those same
skills and mindset to the kids, painlessly, because they have learned
*it works*!

Yama