[Localization] localized keyboard

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Fri Jun 13 11:03:08 EDT 2008

> I may be able to fill in some blanks this weekend. I started a
> contract today, otherwise I would just plunge in tomorrow.

Congratulations.  Very busy here also. shouldn't be doing this :-)

Main thing we need is to deal with the next point, dunno when I will be
able to help, but I added a few thoughts in the Talk page

It is a problem of logistics more than anything, a little cost added
because of the need to stock extra membranes, but mostly the effort to
track which one goes in which XO a supporter or client has placed an
order on.

Yes, yes you wags, I know that OLPC has earned itself a terrible name in
the industry concerning logistics after G1G1 v1, and this local keyboard
issue is 95% about logistics, so I can see they are cautious and
probably rightfully so into getting into possibly an even worse edition
of that mess.

WADR, This is NOT a machining or tooling problem *at all*.  The only
thing I need to do a different design for silkscreen is a (re-usable)
transparent laser printout that costs me a few cents.  After that, the
process is exactly the same whether it's US English or Klingon (there's
your ultimate useless geek gadget, an XO in Klingon.  not)

Except of course, tracking the thing from assembly to client.  If we can
solve that, there is no technological excuse not to offer every keyboard
in Creation.

Yama